Sunday 12 April 2009

The Greenhouse and Garden







Well we finally have our Greenhouse up and ready to go. We were given this wonderful greenhouse by a kind Histon resident who wanted to give it away on www.freecycle.co.uk.
Putting it up was a long process taking several days. (weeks!) It was quite tricky to get the glass in and we had to replace 6 panes of glass with new ones because they broke. But finally here it is in all its glory.  

Chris has worked really hard to get the garden looking so lovely. When we first decided that it would be nice to try and grow our own veggies, my thoughts were of a tiny little plot hidden behind the back wall of my office. True to form, Chris took to the books and researched the best way of growing vegetables and soon suggested my 'small plot' would actually be much better if it was a much bigger space so we could grow many things! My fears were that we would loose our garden and end up with a big area of dirt with nowhere to sit and enjoy the summer. Aesthetics are always important to me and when Chris showed me a plan that would mean nice neat and tidy raised beds next to the patio area, I was delighted.

Chris built the raised beds using reclaimed roof timbers from our friends and neighbours (Thank you Carl and Jo!).

Tami has spent a long time just sitting inside and dreaming of bumper crops of tomatoes and peppers.  The little wind up radio has kept me company while setting out my seeds and organising the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment