Monday 17 May 2010

The birds and the seeds


I love my new blackbird family but I'm struggling with Daddy B tramping over my beds looking for worms to feed the young 'uns. Its really hard to know what has priority? I have struggled to get Dwarf French beans to grow in the past; the seeds rot in the soil only then to be frazzled by the sun once they emerge from the earth. The finally survivors look set to work until I discovered Tess, my dog, munching the tops off!

I have now got a few precious seedlings above ground, looking healthy and protected by a mesh cage, but what did I find today? Yes, a seedling pulled up and earth disturbed! The cheeky little BIrdy must have gone under the cage to get to a meaty morsel! I returned the injured seedling to the earth but I have no idea if my emergency 911 treatment will allow it to live long enough to see bean producing days. Why am I so unlucky with french beans I wonder? Maybe its revenge for not favouring German over GCSE French!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment