Sunday 16 May 2010

The Miracle of life


Chris was outside pruning our buddleia and found a birds nest. He picked Tom up to look inside and then came running to me saying, "Mummy, I've just seen some chicks." Not quick believing him we investigated the nest and he was quite right. Amazingly there were two tiny blackbird chicks, eyes still fused shut and two unhatched eggs. We quickly left the tree alone and allowed mummy blackbird to continue to nurse her babies. She is a grand looking bird who I'd seen in our garden regularly. She perches on the compost bin quite unfazed by Tess, our dog who watches with interest.

About an hour ago I saw her fly off to gather food so I took an opportunity to photograph the nest. Sure enough, the chicks were healthy and now three! I feel overwhelmed by the fragility of these tiny creatures. Mother nature sure is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment