Tuesday 28 July 2009

Wild Women do...


...and they don't regret it. I'm talking about Wild Food of course. Who can possibly not resist free food? Yesterday we went for a bike ride into Cambridge and on the way we kept seeing trees laden with green and red fruits. I know you have to be careful not to pick unknown fruits in case they are poisonous, but these just looked too edible to ignore. Finally curiosity got the better of me and I picked a small round cherry shaped fruit and had a nibble. It was sweet and sharp with a texture and taste like an apricot. I let the kids try a bit and they totally loved them. We grabbed a handful and went on our way. A few yards down the road we found a street with about 10 trees full of these fruits all in different colours, ranging from green, yellow with a red tinge, to a deep purple. Sure that these were some some of plum or damson, we filled up our lunchbox (having eaten the contents earlier!) and took them home for identification.

I discovered (I think...) that what we had were wild cherry plums! A bit of digging around on google told me that these small fruits are indeed edible and a bit of a of an old fashioned delicacy, popular in the Victorian times. I decided to opt for a wild plum jam using the small stash we carried home from the City and it made 4 pots of delicious jam which we all love. It seems that we are also very lucky in Histon and Impington as there are also many trees locally heavy with wild plums and my plan is to get a load of these babies and make a whole batch of jam to last us all winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment